Definition of 'sort'
- a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality; "sculpture is a form of art"; "what kinds of desserts are there?"
Synonyms: kind form variety
- an approximate definition or example; "she wore a sort of magenta dress"; "she served a creamy sort of dessert thing"
- a person of a particular character or nature; "what sort of person is he?"; "he's a good sort"
- an operation that segregates items into groups according to a specified criterion; "the bottleneck in mail delivery it the process of sorting"
- examine in order to test suitability; "screen these samples"; "screen the job applicants"
Synonyms: screen screen out sieve
- arrange or order by classes or categories; "How would you classify these pottery shards--are they prehistoric?"
Synonyms: classify class assort sort out separate