Definition of 'sound'
- the particular auditory effect produced by a given cause; "the sound of rain on the roof"; "the beautiful sound of music"
Antonyms: silence quiet
- the subjective sensation of hearing something; "he strained to hear the faint sounds"
Synonyms: auditory sensation
- mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium; "falling trees make a sound in the forest even when no one is there to hear them"
- the sudden occurrence of an audible event; "the sound awakened them"
- the audible part of a transmitted signal; "they always raise the audio for commercials"
- (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
Synonyms: phone speech sound
- a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
- a large ocean inlet or deep bay; "the main body of the sound ran parallel to the coast"
- appear in a certain way; "This sounds interesting"
- make a certain noise or sound; "She went `Mmmmm'"; "The gun went `bang'"
- give off a certain sound or sounds; "This record sounds scratchy"
- announce by means of a sound; "sound the alarm"
- utter with vibrating vocal chords
Synonyms: voice vocalize vocalise
- cause to sound; "sound the bell"; "sound a certain note"
- measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- financially secure and safe; "sound investments"; "a sound economy"
- exercising or showing good judgment; "healthy scepticism"; "a healthy fear of rattlesnakes"; "the healthy attitude of French laws"; "healthy relations between labor and management"; "an intelligent solution"; "a sound approach to the problem"; "sound advice"; "no sound explanation for his decision"
Synonyms: healthy intelligent levelheaded level-headed
- in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay; "a sound timber"; "the wall is sound"; "a sound foundation"
- in excellent physical condition; "good teeth"; "I still have one good leg"; "a sound mind in a sound body"
- logically valid; "a sound argument"
Synonyms: reasoned well-grounded
- having legal efficacy or force; "a sound title to the property"
Synonyms: legal effectual
- free from moral defect; "a man of sound character"
- (of sleep) deep and complete; "a heavy sleep"; "fell into a profound sleep"; "a sound sleeper"; "deep wakeless sleep"
Synonyms: heavy profound wakeless
- thorough; "a sound thrashing"