Definition of 'spat'
See also: spit
- a quarrel about petty points
Synonyms: bicker bickering tiff squabble pettifoggery fuss
- a cloth covering (a legging) that covers the instep and ankles
- a young oyster or other bivalve
- come down like raindrops; "Bullets were spatting down on us"
- become permanently attached; "mollusks or oysters spat"
- strike with a sound like that of falling rain; "Bullets were spatting the leaves"
- clap one's hands or shout after performances to indicate approval
Synonyms: applaud clap acclaim
Antonyms: boo hiss
- engage in a brief and petty quarrel
- spawn; "oysters spat"
- clap one's hands together; "The children were clapping to the music"