Definition of 'special'
- a special offering (usually temporary and at a reduced price) that is featured in advertising; "they are having a special on pork chops"
- a dish or meal given prominence in e.g. a restaurant
- a television production that features a particular person or work or topic; "the last of a series of BBC specials on Iran is being shown tonight"
- unique or specific to a person or thing or category; "the particular demands of the job"; "has a particular preference for Chinese art"; "a peculiar bond of sympathy between them"; "an expression peculiar to Canadians"; "rights peculiar to the rich"; "the special features of a computer"; "my own special chair"
Synonyms: particular peculiar
- for a special service or occasion; "a special correspondent"; "a special adviser to the committee"; "had to get special permission for the event"
- surpassing what is common or usual or expected; "he paid especial attention to her"; "exceptional kindness"; "a matter of particular and unusual importance"; "a special occasion"; "a special reason to confide in her"; "what's so special about the year 2000?"
Synonyms: especial exceptional particular
- adapted to or reserved for a particular purpose; "a special kind of paint"; "a special medication for arthritis"
- having a specific function or scope; "a special (or specific) role in the mission"
- first and most important; "his special interest is music"; "she gets special (or particular) satisfaction from her volunteer work"
- added to a regular schedule; "a special holiday flight"; "put on special buses for the big game"