Definition of 'spell'
You searched for spells
- a psychological state induced by (or as if induced by) a magical incantation
Synonyms: enchantment trance
- a time for working (after which you will be relieved by someone else); "it's my go"; "a spell of work"
Synonyms: go tour turn
- a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition; "he was here for a little while"; "I need to rest for a piece"; "a spell of good weather"; "a patch of bad weather"
Synonyms: while piece patch
- a verbal formula believed to have magical force; "he whispered a spell as he moved his hands"; "inscribed around its base is a charm in Balinese"
Synonyms: magic spell magical spell charm
- orally recite the letters of or give the spelling of; "How do you spell this word?" "We had to spell out our names for the police officer"
Synonyms: spell out
- indicate or signify; "I'm afraid this spells trouble!"
- write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word); "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
- relieve (someone) from work by taking a turn; "She spelled her husband at the wheel"
- place under a spell
- take turns working; "the workers spell every four hours"