Definition of 'spike'
- a transient variation in voltage or current
- sports equipment consisting of a sharp point on the sole of a shoe worn by athletes; "spikes provide greater traction"
- fruiting spike of a cereal plant especially corn
Synonyms: ear capitulum
- (botany) an indeterminate inflorescence bearing sessile flowers on an unbranched axis
- a sharp rise followed by a sharp decline; "the seismograph showed a sharp spike in response to the temblor"
- a sharp-pointed projection along the top of a fence or wall
- a long sharp-pointed implement (wood or metal)
- any holding device consisting of a sharp-pointed object
- a long metal nail
- stand in the way of
- pierce with a sharp stake or point; "impale a shrimp on a skewer"
Synonyms: transfix impale empale
- secure with spikes
- bring forth a spike or spikes; "my hyacinths and orchids are spiking now"
Synonyms: spike out
- add alcohol to (beverages); "the punch is spiked!"
Synonyms: lace fortify
- manifest a sharp increase; "the voltage spiked"