Definition of 'spirit'
- the vital principle or animating force within living things
- the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
Synonyms: tone feel feeling flavor flavour look smell
- a fundamental emotional and activating principle determining one's character
- any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
Synonyms: disembodied spirit
- the state of a person's emotions (especially with regard to pleasure or dejection); "his emotional state depended on her opinion"; "he was in good spirits"; "his spirit rose"
Synonyms: emotional state
- the intended meaning of a communication
Synonyms: intent purport
- animation and energy in action or expression; "it was a heavy play and the actors tried in vain to give life to it"
Synonyms: liveliness life sprightliness
- an inclination or tendency of a certain kind; "he had a change of heart"
- infuse with spirit; "The company spirited him up"
Synonyms: spirit up inspirit