Definition of 'split'
- extending the legs at right angles to the trunks (one in front and the other in back)
- a bottle containing half the usual amount
- a promised or claimed share of loot or money; "he demanded his split before they disbanded"
- a lengthwise crack in wood; "he inserted the wedge into a split in the log"
- an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart; "there was a rip in his pants"; "she had snags in her stockings"
Synonyms: rip rent snag tear
- an old Croatian city on the Adriatic Sea
- a dessert of sliced fruit and ice cream covered with whipped cream and cherries and nuts
- (tenpin bowling) a divided formation of pins left standing after the first bowl; "he was winning until he got a split in the tenth frame"
- an increase in the number of outstanding shares of a corporation without changing the shareholders' equity; "they announced a two-for-one split of the common stock"
Synonyms: stock split split up
- the act of rending or ripping or splitting something; "he gave the envelope a vigorous rip"
Synonyms: rent rip
- division of a group into opposing factions; "another schism like that and they will wind up in bankruptcy"
- separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
Synonyms: divide split up separate dissever carve up
Antonyms: unite unify
- separate or cut with a tool, such as a sharp instrument; "cleave the bone"
Synonyms: cleave rive
- discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
Synonyms: separate part split up break break up
- go one's own way; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
Synonyms: separate part
- break open or apart suddenly; "The bubble burst"
Synonyms: burst break open
- being divided or separated; "split between love and hate"
- having been divided; having the unity destroyed; "Congress...gave the impression of...a confusing sum of disconnected local forces"-Samuel Lubell; "a league of disunited nations"- E.B.White; "a fragmented coalition"; "a split group"
Synonyms: disconnected disunited fragmented
- (especially of wood) cut or ripped longitudinally with the grain; "we bought split logs for the fireplace"