Definition of 'split up'
- an increase in the number of outstanding shares of a corporation without changing the shareholders' equity; "they announced a two-for-one split of the common stock"
Synonyms: split stock split
- get a divorce; formally terminate a marriage; "The couple divorced after only 6 months"
- separate into parts or portions; "divide the cake into three equal parts"; "The British carved up the Ottoman Empire after World War I"
Synonyms: divide split separate dissever carve up
Antonyms: unite unify
- discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
Synonyms: separate part split break break up
- become separated into pieces or fragments; "The figurine broke"; "The freshly baked loaf fell apart"
Synonyms: break separate fall apart come apart