Definition of 'sponge'
- a porous mass of interlacing fibers the forms the internal skeleton of various marine animals and usable to absorb water or any porous rubber or cellulose product similarly used
- someone able to acquire new knowledge and skills rapidly and easily; "she soaks up foreign languages like a sponge"
Synonyms: quick study
- a follower who hangs around a host (without benefit to the host) in hope of gain or advantage
Synonyms: leech parasite sponger
- primitive multicellular marine animal whose porous body is supported by a fibrous skeletal framework; usually occurs in sessile colonies
Synonyms: poriferan parazoan
- wipe with a sponge, so as to clean or moisten
- ask for and get free; be a parasite
Synonyms: mooch bum cadge grub
- erase with a sponge; as of words on a blackboard
- soak up with a sponge
- gather sponges, in the ocean