Definition of 'spread out'
- move outward; "The soldiers fanned out"
Synonyms: diffuse spread fan out
- set out or stretch in a line, succession, or series; "the houses were strung out in a long row"
Synonyms: string out
- strew or distribute over an area; "He spread fertilizer over the lawn"; "scatter cards across the table"
Synonyms: spread scatter
- extend in one or more directions; "The dough expands"
Antonyms: shrink contract
- turn outward; "These birds can splay out their toes"; "ballet dancers can rotate their legs out by 90 degrees"
Synonyms: turn out splay rotate
- move away from each other; "The crowds dispersed"; "The children scattered in all directions when the teacher approached";
Synonyms: disperse dissipate scatter
- spread out or open from a closed or folded state; "open the map"; "spread your arms"
Synonyms: unfold spread open
Antonyms: fold fold up turn up