Definition of 'stop'
- the event of something ending; "it came to a stop at the bottom of the hill"
- the act of stopping something; "the third baseman made some remarkable stops"; "his stoppage of the flow resulted in a flood"
- a brief stay in the course of a journey; "they made a stopover to visit their friends"
Synonyms: stopover layover
- the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire stop in his seat"
Synonyms: arrest check halt hitch stay stoppage
- a spot where something halts or pauses; "his next stop is Atlanta"
- a consonant produced by stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it; "his stop consonants are too aspirated"
Synonyms: stop consonant occlusive plosive consonant plosive speech sound plosive
Antonyms: continuant consonant continuant
- a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations; "in England they call a period a stop"
Synonyms: period point full stop full point
- (music) a knob on an organ that is pulled to change the sound quality from the organ pipes; "the organist pulled out all the stops"
- a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens; "the new cameras adjust the diaphragm automatically"
- a restraint that checks the motion of something; "he used a book as a stop to hold the door open"
- an obstruction in a pipe or tube; "we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drainpipe"
Synonyms: blockage block closure occlusion stoppage
- come to a halt, stop moving; "the car stopped"; "She stopped in front of a store window"
Antonyms: start go get going
- put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
Synonyms: discontinue cease give up quit lay off
Antonyms: continue uphold carry on bear on preserve
- stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
Synonyms: halt block kibosh
- interrupt a trip; "we stopped at Aunt Mary's house"; "they stopped for three days in Florence"
Synonyms: stop over
- cause to stop; "stop a car"; "stop the thief"
Antonyms: start start up
- prevent completion; "stop the project"; "break off the negotiations"
Synonyms: break break off discontinue
- hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
Synonyms: check turn back arrest contain hold back
- seize on its way; "The fighter plane was ordered to intercept an aircraft that had entered the country's airspace"
- have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
Synonyms: end finish terminate cease
Antonyms: begin start
- render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "stop the busy road"
Synonyms: barricade block blockade block off block up bar
- stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments; "Hold on a moment!"
Synonyms: hold on