Definition of 'strangle'
- kill by squeezing the throat of so as to cut off the air; "he tried to strangle his opponent"; "A man in Boston has been strangling several dozen prostitutes"
Synonyms: strangulate throttle
- conceal or hide; "smother a yawn"; "muffle one's anger"; "strangle a yawn"
Synonyms: smother stifle muffle repress
- die from strangulation
- prevent the progress or free movement of; "He was hampered in his efforts by the bad weather"; "the imperialist nation wanted to strangle the free trade between the two small countries"
Synonyms: hamper halter cramp
- constrict (someone's) throat and keep from breathing
- struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake; "he swallowed a fishbone and gagged"
Synonyms: gag choke suffocate