Definition of 'sully'
- United States painter (born in England) of portraits and historical scenes (1783-1872)
Synonyms: Thomas Sully
- French statesman (1560-1641)
Synonyms: Duc de Sully Maxmilien de Bethune
- place under suspicion or cast doubt upon; "sully someone's reputation"
Synonyms: defile corrupt taint cloud
- make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically; "The silver was tarnished by the long exposure to the air"; "Her reputation was sullied after the affair with a married man"
Synonyms: tarnish stain maculate defile
- charge falsely or with malicious intent; attack the good name and reputation of someone; "The journalists have defamed me!" "The article in the paper sullied my reputation"
Synonyms: defame slander smirch asperse denigrate calumniate smear besmirch