Definition of 'take off'
- leave; "The family took off for Florida"
Synonyms: depart part start start out set forth set off set out
- take away or remove; "Take that weight off me!"
- depart from the ground; "The plane took off two hours late"
Synonyms: lift off
- take time off from work; stop working temporarily
Synonyms: take time off
- mimic or imitate in an amusing or satirical manner; "This song takes off from a famous aria"
- remove clothes; "take off your shirt--it's very hot in here"
- get started or set in motion, used figuratively; "the project took a long time to get off the ground"
Synonyms: get off the ground
- prove fatal; "The disease took off"
- make a subtraction
Synonyms: subtract deduct
Antonyms: add add together