Definition of 'tear'
- a drop of the clear salty saline solution secreted by the lacrimal glands; "his story brought tears to her eyes"
- an opening made forcibly as by pulling apart; "there was a rip in his pants"; "she had snags in her stockings"
Synonyms: rip rent snag split
- an occasion for excessive eating or drinking; "they went on a bust that lasted three days"
Synonyms: bust binge bout
- the act of tearing; "he took the manuscript in both hands and gave it a mighty tear"
- separate or cause to separate abruptly; "The rope snapped"; "tear the paper"
Synonyms: rupture snap bust
- to separate or be separated by force; "planks were in danger of being torn from the crossbars"
- move quickly and violently; "The car tore down the street"; "He came charging into my office"
Synonyms: shoot shoot down charge buck
- strip of feathers; "pull a chicken"; "pluck the capon"
Synonyms: pluck pull deplume deplumate displume
- fill with tears or shed tears; "Her eyes were tearing"