Definition of 'test'
- any standardized procedure for measuring sensitivity or memory or intelligence or aptitude or personality etc; "the test was standardized on a large sample of students"
Synonyms: mental test mental testing psychometric test
- the act of testing something; "in the experimental trials the amount of carbon was measured separately"; "he called each flip of the coin a new trial"
Synonyms: trial run
- the act of undergoing testing; "he survived the great test of battle"; "candidates must compete in a trial of skill"
- trying something to find out about it; "a sample for ten days free trial"; "a trial of progesterone failed to relieve the pain"
Synonyms: trial trial run tryout
- a set of questions or exercises evaluating skill or knowledge; "when the test was stolen the professor had to make a new set of questions"
Synonyms: examination exam
- a hard outer covering as of some amoebas and sea urchins
- put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to; "This approach has been tried with good results"; "Test this recipe"
Synonyms: prove try try out examine essay
- test or examine for the presence of disease or infection; "screen the blood for the HIV virus"
- examine someone's knowledge of something; "The teacher tests us every week"; "We got quizzed on French irregular verbs"
- show a certain characteristic when tested; "He tested positive for HIV"
- achieve a certain score or rating on a test; "She tested high on the LSAT and was admitted to all the good law schools"
- determine the presence or properties of (a substance)
- undergo a test; "She doesn't test well"