Definition of 'trial'
- (law) legal proceedings consisting of the judicial examination of issues by a competent tribunal; "most of these complaints are settled before they go to trial"
- the act of testing something; "in the experimental trials the amount of carbon was measured separately"; "he called each flip of the coin a new trial"
Synonyms: test run
- (sports) a preliminary competition to determine qualifications; "the trials for the semifinals began yesterday"
- (law) the determination of a person's innocence or guilt by due process of law; "he had a fair trial and the jury found him guilty"
- trying something to find out about it; "a sample for ten days free trial"; "a trial of progesterone failed to relieve the pain"
Synonyms: trial run test tryout
- an annoying or frustrating or catastrophic event; "his mother-in-law's visits were a great trial for him"; "life is full of tribulations"; "a visitation of the plague"
Synonyms: tribulation visitation
- the act of undergoing testing; "he survived the great test of battle"; "candidates must compete in a trial of skill"