Definition of 'trip'
- a journey for some purpose (usually including the return); "he took a trip to the shopping center"
- a hallucinatory experience induced by drugs; "an acid trip"
- an accidental misstep threatening (or causing) a fall; "he blamed his slip on the ice"; "the jolt caused many slips and a few spills"
- an exciting or stimulating experience
Synonyms: head trip
- a catch mechanism that acts as a switch; "the pressure activates the tripper and releases the water"
- a light or nimble tread; "he heard the trip of women's feet overhead"
- an unintentional but embarrassing blunder; "he recited the whole poem without a single trip"; "he arranged his robes to avoid a trip-up later"; "confusion caused his unfortunate misstep"
Synonyms: trip-up stumble misstep
- miss a step and fall or nearly fall; "She stumbled over the tree root"
- cause to stumble; "The questions on the test tripped him up"
Synonyms: trip up
- make a trip for pleasure
Synonyms: travel jaunt
- put in motion or move to act; "trigger a reaction"; "actuate the circuits"
Synonyms: actuate trigger activate set off spark off spark trigger off touch off
- get high, stoned, or drugged; "He trips every weekend"
Synonyms: trip out turn on get off