Definition of 'tumble'
- an acrobatic feat of rolling or turning end over end
- a sudden drop from an upright position; "he had a nasty spill on the ice"
Synonyms: spill fall
- fall down, as if collapsing; "The tower of the World Trade Center tumbled after the plane hit it"
- cause to topple or tumble by pushing
Synonyms: topple tip
- roll over and over, back and forth
- fly around; "The clothes tumbled in the dryer"; "rising smoke whirled in the air"
Synonyms: whirl whirl around
- fall apart; "the building crumbled after the explosion"; "Negotiations broke down"
Synonyms: crumble crumple break down collapse
- throw together in a confused mass; "They tumbled the teams with no apparent pattern"
- understand, usually after some initial difficulty; "She didn't know what her classmates were plotting but finally caught on"
Synonyms: catch on get wise get onto latch on cotton on twig get it
- fall suddenly and sharply; "Prices tumbled after the devaluation of the currency"
- put clothes in a tumbling barrel, where they are whirled about in hot air, usually with the purpose of drying; "Wash in warm water and tumble dry"
- suffer a sudden downfall, overthrow, or defeat
- do gymnastics, roll and turn skillfully