Definition of 'use'
- the act of using; "he warned against the use of narcotic drugs"; "skilled in the utilization of computers"
Synonyms: usage utilization utilisation employment exercise
- a particular service; "he put his knowledge to good use"; "patrons have their uses"
- what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
Synonyms: function purpose role
- (economics) the utilization of economic goods to satisfy needs or in manufacturing; "the consumption of energy has increased steadily"
Synonyms: consumption economic consumption usance use of goods and services
- a pattern of behavior acquired through frequent repetition; "she had a habit twirling the ends of her hair"; "long use had hardened him to it"
Synonyms: habit wont
- (law) the exercise of the legal right to enjoy the benefits of owning property; "we were given the use of his boat"
- exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage; "his manipulation of his friends was scandalous"
- put into service; make work or employ (something) for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
Synonyms: utilize utilise apply employ
- take or consume (regularly or habitually); "She uses drugs rarely"
- seek or achieve an end by using to one's advantage; "She uses her influential friends to get jobs"; "The president's wife used her good connections"
- use up, consume fully; "The legislature expended its time on school questions"
- avail oneself to; "apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
Synonyms: practice apply
- habitually do something (use only in the past tense); "She used to call her mother every week but now she calls only occasionally"; "I used to get sick when I ate in that dining hall"; "They used to vacation in the Bahamas"