Definition of 'whirl'
- confused movement; "he was caught up in a whirl of work"; "a commotion of people fought for the exits"
- the shape of something rotating rapidly
Synonyms: swirl vortex convolution
- a usually brief attempt; "he took a crack at it"; "I gave it a whirl"
Synonyms: crack fling go pass offer
- the act of rotating rapidly; "he gave the crank a spin"; "it broke off after much twisting"
Synonyms: spin twirl twist twisting
- turn in a twisting or spinning motion; "The leaves swirled in the autumn wind"
Synonyms: twirl swirl twiddle
- cause to spin; "spin a coin"
Synonyms: birl spin twirl
- flow in a circular current, of liquids
Synonyms: eddy purl whirlpool swirl
- revolve quickly and repeatedly around one's own axis; "The dervishes whirl around and around without getting dizzy"
Synonyms: spin spin around reel gyrate
- fly around; "The clothes tumbled in the dryer"; "rising smoke whirled in the air"
Synonyms: tumble whirl around